The coronavirus pandemic is changing daily life in San Diego County, from local businesses to jobs, from education to entertainment. New cases are now announced regularly. Union-Tribune staff will be adding updates on the development of COVID-19 in the area.
Governor Gavin Newsom gave Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court Thani Kantil-Sakauye new and broader powers to fight the COVID-19 pandemic when he ordered changes to procedures at the nation’s largest trial court system.
Newsom’s unprecedented order gives the Chief Justice sweeping powers “to take whatever action she deems necessary to maintain safe and orderly business” in any of the state’s 58 trial courts and six appellate courts.
The Chief Justice is also the head of the judiciary, although her powers are limited to the operation of individual courts. This has proven to be a problem from the start of the outbreak, with courts across the state setting varying deadlines for closures and operations. Under current law, each court must first formally ask Cantil-Sakauye to order changes, which results in rules that vary greatly between courts.
The jumble of rules over the past week has led to mounting pressure and complaints from lawyers, court staff and others who say different rules can lead to unequal justice and, most importantly, expose people working in the courts to the risk of contracting the virus.
All trial courts across the state have drastically reduced their operations to only essential businesses and are closed to the public. Previously, Cantil-Sacahuye suspended all civil and criminal jury trials for 60 days and extended other statutory deadlines.
Newsom’s order allows for technical changes to long-standing litigation, such as allowing testimony to be taken by phone or otherwise. Currently, the law requires that all testimony be given in person.
Cantil-Sakoy applauded Newsom’s actions in a statement, saying “this unprecedented order reflects a very deep concern for not only protecting California’s myriad health and safety needs, but also ensuring that justice continues to be available to those who matter most.” needs it.”
The order was issued the day before an extraordinary meeting of the State Judicial Committee, the decision-making body of the court, headed by Cantil-Sacaouye. The committee is preparing to ask Newsom for such broad powers, but probably not now.
Also on the agenda is an item allowing Cantil-Sacaouye to extend the statutory deadline for criminal cases to 90 days after the declaration of a state of emergency in connection with the pandemic.
The move is necessary to avoid a backlog of cases with specific legal deadlines for when courts reopen.
In order for this function to continue to work properly, we have created a new file. Head there for the latest news.
UC San Diego announced late Monday that an unidentified student living in a dorm on campus has tested positive for the coronavirus.
“Resident students self-isolate while receiving care,” UC San Diego officials said in a campus alert. “We are working closely with San Diego County Public Health officials and following their guidance on reporting recent close contacts.”
San Diego Magazine announced on Monday that it plans to lay off most of its staff and temporarily close its doors in anticipation of the coronavirus pandemic and the shutdown of the economy.
According to Jim Fitzpatrick, publisher and CEO of San Diego Magazine, 37 employees are leaving and one potential employee will remain on the payroll to do commissioned publications.
Staff were given advance notice of the layoffs and they received official notice on Monday.
Fitzpatrick said he is very optimistic that this will be a temporary flash in the publication’s 72-year history.
Most of the magazine’s content has been affected by the closure of restaurants, nightclubs and events, leading to layoffs, Fitzpatrick said.
“The people, places and things that we usually write and talk about are not in the public domain,” he said. “Not too many, not too many people, but we fully expect that when the pandemic is over, we will be back and open for business and look forward to being bigger and better than ever.”
Del Mar and Solana Beach officials have announced the closure of beaches, trails and most parks in those cities to enforce social distancing rules to combat the spread of COVID-19.
“With immediate effect, all Del Mar beaches, beach access points, cliffs, Power Park, Seagrove Park, and areas near the San Digito River will be closed to the public to ensure six-foot safety between people. Social distancing. Not in the same house. ” Del Mar officials said in a statement on the city’s website Monday night.
“Due to the continued large crowds congregating at city parks, beaches, and lagoon trails, and the failure to properly comply with Governor Newsom’s Executive Order social distancing requirements, the City of Solana Beach has decided to temporarily close these public places. From March 23, the area (including parking) where the day begins is in effect, ”the officials wrote in a press release. “This measure is designed to protect the health and well-being of the public while helping to slow the spread of the coronavirus.”
Del Mar officials said the closure of beaches and coastal parks “is a close collaboration with neighboring coastal cities and a recognition of the importance of a consistent approach.”
As of Monday, all city beaches from San Diego to Carlsbad are now closed, while officials in Oceanside have announced the closure of beach car parks, but not beaches.
California Supreme Court Chief Justice Thani Cantil-Sakaue has ordered all 58 trial courts in the state to suspend all jury trials for two months, which goes further than most individual courts have closed since the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Cantil-Sacaouye order also extends the period during which the court must start a new trial by 60 days. The order also authorizes the courts to create new emergency rules to respond immediately to the effects of the pandemic, eliminating the normal 45-day period for comments on rule changes.
The suspension of trials until the end of May was longer than many courts have suspended their cases in the past two weeks. The San Diego Supreme Court has suspended all litigation and non-emergency services until April 3. The chief judge’s order extends the suspension of the jury trial for a longer period of time.
Four employees of the Naval Medical Center San Diego and a sailor on the unnamed San Diego ship have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Navy.
Three of the hospital’s staff are active-duty sailors, a Navy spokesman said Monday. Four Marines and 18 sailors in San Diego County have now tested positive for the virus.
Since Friday, the Navy is no longer naming ships with positive coronavirus cases, according to the Pacific Fleet.
All those who have tested positive are self-isolating in accordance with CDC guidelines, as are others who have had close contact with them, according to the US Navy.
NMCSD is one of two naval hospitals that military personnel are sent to if they develop symptoms of COVID-19, the other being Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital.
The San Diego Union-Tribune is monitoring the following cases of COVID-19 in the local military community:
San Diego County officials announced 25 additional cases of COVID-19 on Monday evening, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 230.
The county has also begun releasing data by city. San Diego currently has 134 cases, followed by Carlsbad with 14. Check out these charts for a more in-depth look at county data.
All city parks, trails and beaches have been temporarily closed to help slow the spread of COVID-19, Karlovy Vary officials announced on Monday.
One of the reasons for this decision was the number of people who continued to gather in these places. It is also following new guidelines from the County of San Diego, where the city is considering closing these facilities if social distancing is not being followed.
City officials reminded residents that the order is legally binding. The Karlovy Vary Police Department will send groups to crowded places to inform residents of the changes.
“The police have the right to issue subpoenas if after that people do not comply,” officials said in a statement.
Most of Karlovy Vary’s beaches – about 6 out of 7 miles – are owned and operated by the state of California, which has not closed its beaches. However, the city has made an official request to the State Parks Authority to close the beaches and parking lots in the city of Karlovy Vary.
Outdoor recreation is still allowed under a stay-at-home order issued by California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday. But the order stipulates that people who go outside must maintain a safe social distance of 6 feet from people from different households.
For more information on how COVID-19 is affecting the city of Carlsbad, visit carlsbadca.gov/COVID19.
San Diego officials announced Monday the closure of all city beaches, bays, lakes, boardwalks, parks and trails to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Mayor Kevin Faulconer said even with the state’s stay-at-home order, people are still encouraged to go outside during the pandemic, but residents need to be “closer to home,” he said.
The decision came the day after the city closed parking lots at all city beaches and parks, and on the same day, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the closure of parking at all state beaches and parks after a crowded weekend.
“We need to spend time taking care of each other, not dealing with people who don’t take it seriously,” said San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer. “…Getting together is simply irresponsible, and it’s not fair to other San Diego residents who stay at home.”
Faulconer added that while the San Diego Police Department has adopted an education-focused approach to law enforcement, that approach may soon end if people continue to disobey health orders set by the city and county.
“The era of education is coming to an end and the era of law enforcement is about to begin,” the mayor said. “I have given the (police) superintendents the freedom to act as they see fit. Officers can and will fine individuals who do not follow these rules.”
Violation of an order by Governor Newsom or a district order may result in a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, imprisonment for up to 6 months, or both.
Post time: Sep-16-2022